12.3 is the most complex of the range, aged in bourbon and PXC casks. Octomore 12.3 Islay Single Malt Whiskey The Impossible Equation is a unique flavor bomb! The Octomore 12.3 is a single vintage 'single field' single malt. Raised in Church Field on Octomore Farm by friend and farmer James Brown. They choose Islay grown barley distilled drop by drop through the tall narrow neck stills just two miles from where it was grown.
The terroir-driven distillate would make two separate journeys before being combined; 75% was filled in ex-American whiskey casks, while the remaining 25% was aged for five years in genuine Pedro Ximenez Solera casks from the Fernando de Castilla bodega in Jerez. Islay's barley spirit breathes slowly and delicately for five years, its salty citrus-marine note due to the place where the barley was grown and the warehouses close to the sea. The Pedro Ximenez casks contribute sweet notes of dried fruit that highlight the rich dry peat smoke of Octomore.